Sunday, January 29, 2017

Feedback Thoughts: Giving and Receiving Feedback

HELLO!!!!

I have attached the articles I read for this assignment at the bottom of the page.

I think the topic of giving and receiving feedback is important to read about and study. I truly believe that each generation gives and receives it differently. Maybe more specifically each individual gives and receives it differently. However, I do believe there are several main ideas and ways to the approach feedback that can help all individuals. 


I remember growing up how hard my dad was on me. He wasn't extreme, just extremely expectant. He knew I was capable therefore he pushed me hard. He always rewarded me when I did well but failed to provide reassurance or feedback (that was positive) when I did not meet his expectations. 

I believe because I grew up that way I am able to give feedback well because I recognize how much it can help people grow, but I have always struggled to receive feedback. Mostly negative feedback, or constructive feedback.

The articles I read had great points about trying to promote growth mindset, as well as ways to be a mirror, not a critic. I also liked the way the articles talked about self-thoughts. I believe that often people receive negative feedback, but are overly sensitive or emotional to be able to apply it. Then, on the opposite spectrum, people are too expectant to hear positive feedback for things that they should be doing because it is in their job description, in their handbook, or because it is simply the right thing to do.

Personally, I work with volunteers every day at work and it is important that I am able to give feedback to them as best and most effectively as I can.

I love feedback and learning how to receive it can definitely shape you and help you grow.

I love self-help books and such. So, I found these articles really insightful!!

Image Information: Feedbag, not feedback 
Photo Credit: Karl Horton
Source: Flickr


Why rejection hurts so much — and what to do about it, by Guy Winch


Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head, by Sabina Nawaz


Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset, by Gravity Goldberg


Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement, by Maria Popova

No comments:

Post a Comment