Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset: Redefining Learning

Growth Mindset...

Carol Dweck is an incredibly brilliant mind. I have never heard of her or the growth mindset, but she reminds me a lot of an educator I know who believes very similarly.
Thinking about all that was unpacked in the few videos I watched over Growth Mindset causes me to evaluate myself. I think it hit home when Dr. Dweck talked about traditional fixed mindsets. Sadly, I think that is how I would categorize myself. I like a reward, effort causes me to feel unintelligent, and I am unhappy when I don't perform at an 'A' level.

Since I have been at OU, I have learned a lot. I graduated high school as a valedictorian but made a C in my very first college class. (Micro Economics, YUCK) At the time, I was convinced I was trying. I attended class every day, I worked out problems like the ones we reviewed, and I attended tutoring. If you ask me now why I believe I struggled, I think I would say because I had the wrong mindset. I wasn't working to learn; I was working to perform at the level I always had. Since then, I have made a vow to myself to approach college differently, and four semesters later I am back to making all A's and loving the material I am learning.

I am very interested in learning more about the growth mindset, particularly the research behind it. (because I am a communication major, and it is research driven, not mass communication.

This semester, I believe growth mindset could help me with all of my classes, continuing to evolve why and how I approach my education.

Image Information: Edcuated Kitty from Professor Gibbs Blog

1 comment:

  1. I think the same way, Ali! I always use to think that the point of going to class and learning was to simply score well on the tests and get a good GPA. And it took me until the end of freshman year to finally understand that it was so much bigger than that. Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete