Sunday, January 29, 2017

Growth Mindset: Insight to How Praise Effects Me

HI!

After watching Carol Dweck - A Study on Praise and Mindsets a presentation by Trevor Ragan I got to thinking very introspectively.

I chose this particular video at random. It ironically matched up with this week's discussion on feedback. It also goes back to what I was saying when we first were introduced to Growth Mindset in this class. 

Growing up I would've been the kid who was praised by being called intelligent, and then because of that, I didn't give up when things were difficult. I didn't get frustrated. I just avoided it all together. I think that is really a shame. I am a smart girl who has always put a lot of effort into the things I do, but I typically never kept doing things I wasn't good at the first try. 

I thnk of if I would have been praised and given feedback through the Growth Mindset how many more things I would've attempted or kept doing in life.

When I was 8, I tried playing the guitar. It was difficult, and I was not naturally good, so I stopped. 
When I was 17, I tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus cheering. I had planned on trying out at here at OU with confidence I would make the team. It took me 18 months to recover, and I had lost so much time that I did not even try to apply myself to rehabilitate to the point where I would be able to try out. I just stopped. 

I think that I missed out on a lot of growth opportunities because of a fixed mindset that was wrong. I hope always to approach others with a Growth Mindset, and eventually keep changing my mindset as well.

Image Information: Growth Mindset
By: Jessica Ottewell
Source:Flickr

Sources:
Carol Dweck - A Study on Praise and Mindsets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWv1VdDeoRY&index=4&list=PLrWYQjLLbXcinSlIDzuKWSxh_XzkZP0_b

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ali!! I feel the same way! My thing was always that it wasn't that I wanted to quit out of frustration, but just that there were always so many other options of things to do or learn, I didn't see the point in wasting time on things I wasn't any good at. It really wasn't until my freshman year of college that I had to come to terms with the idea of persisting through things, because most of the time I was terrible at things that weren't optional. But luckily I got to learn this lesson now rather than later down the road!!

    ReplyDelete