Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana, Section D

Chapter 8

Memento From Rama

I could write of the lives of some of Ravana's abandoned wives

Why did he not take Sita or fight for her.

Why was she untouched and dusty

I could twist this with her having engaged in a relationship with Ravana

Chapter 9

Ravana In Council

It was confusing that Ravana's brother was so opposed to Ravanas ideas. He already supports evil. Maybe he thought people would change their ways.

Chapter 10

Across the Ocean

I think that it is interesting that everyone but Hanuman wanted to reject Vibishana.

I could write a story about Vibishana getting on the good side of Rama and his men to attack.

It is crazy they accumulated pebbles to create a way to Lanka when previously by Hanuman.

Chapter 11

The Siege of Lanka

I could write in detail on Ravanas son being killed by Lakshama.

I like how there was a fake murder of Sita that crushed the monkey's morale.

I could write a back story of Ravana's sleeping brother

Chapter 12

Rama and Ravana in Battle

I wonder why this part of the book they spent much more time with small details than any other part.

The elaboration on weapons seemed to be a big part of this chapter.

Whether a story or for the project I could write a eulogy to Ravana

Chapter 13

Interlude

I don't understand why Sita had to jump into a fire to be received by Rama

Its sad that Rama acted as though he completed his duty and love was not a factor given it is what drove him for so long.

Chapter 14

The Coronation

I like that the story ends where it started almost as if it completed a full circle.

I also like that Rama's dad got to come back and talk to his Son. It was the saddest part of the book.

I also think it would be cool to write an alternate ending where Rama dies.. because that would be dramatic. Although, I would have to remove the part about him not being able to die since he is like (the) God. 


Image Information: Forest dwelling Rama and Lakshmi battle Ravana
By: Mandi
Source: Wikimedia
Sources:

Narayan, R. K. (1972). The Ramayana: a shortened modern prose version of the Indian epic. Penguin.http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/week-1-of-2-narayans-ramayana-reading.html



No comments:

Post a Comment