Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading Options: R. K. Narayan's Ramayana

For week two I will be reading R. K. Narayan's Ramayana version of the story. The factors that most influenced my decision are simple. I like the idea of simple structure and modern style, but mostly the influencing factor was I want to hold a copy of the book in my hands. Something about a physical copy of a book makes me enjoy it more.

My interests thus far are all over. I do not know exactly how I feel about anything I have come across. I like the story of the Golden Deer I read on one of the storybooks because it reminded me of the Bible story of the golden calf at first thought. 

I have never taken epic literature before, and I have not been introduced to the genre really at all. I am a very pragmatic and cookie cutter person, therefor my imagination and creative side does not flow easily. I have however learned about mythology. When I was younger I went through a program that did a unit on mythology, I remember enjoying it and studying it more on my own after, but since have not put much thought into it. When I think of the words 'mythology' and 'epic' the movie Hercules comes to mind (tat was my honest first thought). 

I have never taken classes about religion before. I do not know much about Islam although, I taught myself a little about Buddhism in high school. I do however identify as Christian, and read the Bible. 

While I know there are many interesting facts about Indian history and culture, I have never personally studied or familiarized myself with it. I am excited to learn through this class. Everything from the food, music, films, and dance are unfamiliar to me.  

I was browsing the page of pictures to look at, and none of them were familiar to me. This picture in particular caught my eye though. I found it interesting because while most photos are beautiful or abstract or a depiction of a story or moment, this was a simple image of a man like character that is not pretty or telling.

A Srange Troll Like Man
Image source: Manthara, 
a Wayang Kulit shadow puppet

It is fascinating to know so little now, but be on the edge of learning so much about a new culture and its history!!

No comments:

Post a Comment