Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana, Section A


Chapter 1

Ramas Initiation

Viswamithra seems mysterious, maybe he is evil?

This story reminds me of Abraham and Sarah and their faith through Sarah's barrenness because Dasaratha prayed for children.

I like how it talks about a child leaving a parent like a seedling leaving the tree.

The travel through the desert was super descriptive. Maybe I can write of this as the age of dinosaurs.

It seems strange the boys had enough faith and obedience to follow Viswamithra.

Thataka's Story

I think the biggest thing that stood out to me was the extent to which Thataka was serpent-like. Maybe I make her a snake.

I also feel like it would be interesting to write about her son's. Like a, where are they now?

Also, What about Rama's brother in became irrelevant very quickly

Mahabali's Story

So Rama is human too but doesn't know it? Does he live two lives at the same time with no idea of the other existing life?

This story confused me very much. I struggled to follow.

It was interesting how three steps grew It reminds me of a genie in a bottle type of situation

Ganga's Story

I like the way the horse trots through the lands. The horse determines what land is owned by the horse's owner. It is like fate. 

The idea of oceans being formed from where the boys dug for the horse is a cool visual.

The story ended with the telling of a new story, as they commonly have. I like this writing technique. It would be cool to introduce new characters through another character story over and over without ending the original story. This means there would always be a transfer of the main character.

Ahalya's Story

Within the first few sentences, I am thinking beauty and the beast. Belle and Gaston specifically. 

Indra could be a stocker. It is morbid, but this could be a suspenseful rather than a fairytale.

The adultery reminds me of two things. 1. David and Bathsheba 2. The x-man movie where the blue girl changes appearances and sneaks into Wolverines tent as the girl he is interested in.

The body being covered by the female organ is just gross. Guess that would show the world where your thoughts lie for sure.

It would be cool to write and shed light on Ahalya thoughts while she was stone.

Rama reminds me of Jesus sometimes, "let your heart not be burdened with what is past and gone" (pg. 21). Just as Jesus tells the woman from the well, to get up and sin no more.

Chapter 2

The Wedding

What if Rama seeing Sita was a dream?

Incorporating Deja Vu, or what they thought was Deja Vu, but actually glimpses of their heaven life together.

The sins as a bird is an interesting thought.

She was sick with love literally is something to mention.

I like how it gives insight to both lovers thoughts and perspective

Shiva is like a Disney princess, like Jasmine.

Rama and the bow remind me of Thor and his hammer or King Arthur and his sword

Sitas threat to end her life gives a very Romeo and Juliet vibe.

I could have Ramas father die before making it to the wedding

Viswamithras leaving is sad.

All 3 boys got marries, with no detail of their love stories, besides Rama's.

Chapter 3

Two Promises Revived

I could write that Rama doesn't want to be king or is killed by his brothers

Dasaratha's current wife Kaikeyi is easily manipulated by her servant

Ramas brother loyalty is crazy

Bharatha's mother was evil.

What the agreement the came to was good. 

I liked this story. It will be difficult to change. Maybe I will write of the reason everyone loved Rama

Image information: Personal photo
Ruger trying to help me read The Ramayana

Image Information: Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana in the forest
Author: Raja Ravi Press
Source: Wikimedia




Sources:

Narayan, R. K. (1972). The Ramayana: a shortened modern prose version of the Indian epic. Penguin.http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/week-1-of-2-narayans-ramayana-reading.html





No comments:

Post a Comment