Friday, January 13, 2017

Week 1 Story: Run Away Wife

January 13th, 2017

Week One Story: Run Away Wife


I DOUBT, I doubt, my fire is out;
My little wife isn't at home;
I'll saddle my dog, and bridle my cat,
And I'll go fetch my little wife home.

(Love and Matrimony Nursery Rhyme)
_________________

Long ago, in a winter town called Nasha, there was a strong young man named Timmy. Timmy was a handsome gentleman and lived a good simple life. He lived on a nice plot of land given to him by his father, had a darling dog named Daisy and a cuddly cat called Curt. Timmy worked in a factory in Nasha’s city center making machine equipment and was good at what he did. Every day was the same for young Timmy. He would wake up at the crack of dawn to feed Daisy and Curt. Then, Timmy took a piping hot shower, dressed, ate a bowl of oats with a tablespoon of honey, put on his winter boots and heavy coat, and headed on foot to where he worked, the factory, just 2 miles from home. Timmy worked hard all day crafting equipment, got paid, and made his trek home. Once home, Timmy always greeted his sweet Daisy and Curt, headed outside to cut firewood, and came inside to enjoy a toasty fire with his dearest pals. Timmy enjoyed his life and his daily routine very much. One day Timmy’s whole routine was thrown for a loop when he received a call from his father, Gary. Gary told Timmy that he had found a young woman for him to marry. Timmy assured his father he was fine without a wife, but Gary told Timmy he had already made an arrangement with the young lady’s father, and if Timmy wanted to keep his comfortable life on his father’s plot of land he would marry the young woman.

(Chimney with Smoke)
Source: Wikimedia

Two weeks later Timmy was married to the woman. Her name was Sheryl. Sheryl realized Timmy lived a very routine life and found it boring and dull compared to her previous life, but she did not complain. Timmy did change one thing about his daily routine after marrying Sheryl. Before Timmy left for his hike to work, he started the fire to keep the winter cold away and Sheryl warm.

Day after day, Sheryl would stay home with Daisy and Curt stoking the fire and cleaning the house. Night after night, Timmy would come home and sit by the fire with Sheryl and the animals unwinding from the day of hard work. Timmy grew to love his obedient, soft spoken, kind wife in a way. He looked forward to the hike home from work each and every day because the entire two-mile trip, he could follow the smoke from the chimney to his quaint home where he would find his little wife stoking the fire and prepping his dinner.

One day Timmy’s routine was ruined by a major misfortune. The day started like any other. Timmy woke up at the crack of dawn to feed Daisy and Curt. He took a shower, dressed, and ate his oats. He started the fire thinking of Sheryl, and then put on his winter coat and headed to the factory. Timmy worked hard all day, got paid, and began his trek home. 
_________________________

I DOUBT, I doubt, my fire is out;
My little wife isn't at home;
_________________________


When Timmy took his first steps out the factory door, he looked for the chimneys smoke, but this time, he did not see it. He doubted his fire was out. Sheryl always kept the fire burning for him. He continued his walk home confused and doubtful that his fire was not burning. Once home, Timmy walked through the doors expecting to find Sheryl asleep, because that could explain why the fire had ceased burning. To his dismay, Sheryl was nowhere to be found, but the house was clean, the pets were lounging in the front room, and a note was laying on the fire mantel. 

_________________________

I'll saddle my dog, and bridle my cat,
And I'll go fetch my little wife home.
_________________________


The note said,
“I can’t keep this fire burning –Sheryl”

Timmy was very angry. He called his father in a panic. Gary insisted he go get her back because he needed to honor the commitment he had made with Sheryl’s father. Timmy did not want to fetch his wife for she had left him, but he didn’t want his father to think of him as disobedient, and he didn’t want his father to take back the land he was living on. So, Timmy gathered the little he had, including his dog Daisy and his cat Curt, and he headed off on foot to find his little wife Sheryl…

The End.

Authors Note.
In the original story, a man doubted his fire had stopped burning. His wife was not home, and he was going to use any means necessary to get her back, even if the meant saddling up his animals. This fable instantly reminded me of the story of Hosea and his wife Gomer in the Bible in which a man is living his life is called by God to marry a promiscuous woman. Out of obedience Hosea does, and he and Gomer begin a family, but later Gomer runs away returning to her previous life. When Hosea becomes aware, the Lord tells him to go buy his wife back. I wanted there to be some parallels with the Hosea and Gomer story as well as be unique in that the love in the story is the fire and while it is keeping Timmy warm, it is a lot of work for Sheryl. 

Bibliography
This story is based on the nursery rhyme "I DOUBT, I doubt" in The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Ali, what an intriguing story: I am really glad you included the rhyme at the start since it is probably a rhyme that is new to people, and that way they can see the tiny seed of a story that you started with and how you made it grow! You set up Timmy's life and routine so vividly, and then we could see how totally it was disrupted by this arranged marriage, and since we know the rhyme already, we can tell that things might not work out well for the young couple. But Timmy is determined and I like how you zoomed in on his perspective at the end of the story just like in the rhyme: we don't know what will happen, but we do know what his plan is, with just "..." at the end to let us know that we have to imagine for ourselves what might have happened next. And your comment in the note about Hosea and Gomer was so thought-provoking too. Maybe you will want to do a Bible women project for this class: there is a Bible women reading unit coming up in Week 2, and of course there are SO MANY women's stories in the Bible to choose from; I could only fit a few of them into the reading unit, and the story of Gomer is a haunting and memorable story for sure! Nobody has used Gomer's story for a project in this class, so maybe you will be the first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so great!! I thought the ending was interesting, as it ended with Timmy not wanting to find his wife for any other reason other than not wanting to disappoint his father and lose his land. I also liked your parallel to the fire and how its symbolism meant something different to both Timmy and Sheryl. While stoking a fire and staying home seem like simple tasks, they obviously took a toll on Sheryl. I really look forward to reading more of your stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow really interesting story Ali, although they did the best that they could I can see how Sheryl got tired of the same old and respect how Timmy went off to find her after she left. Its unfortunate that their new lifestyle had to brought down upon one another by their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the ending the most. The story was simply, yet that's what made it complex. The things left open to interpretation and suspense (like the ending) is what i enjoyed. An open ended conclusion leads to so many possibility's for a continuation or sequence of untold events. I too liked the symbolism of the fire equaling their marriage, security, and their responsibility's to each other and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, I absolutely loved your story. You used the content and message from the original passage so well. As the audience, I could clearly and easily see the connection to your story and the nursery rhyme. I like and admire how you were able to tie in the Gomer story in the author's note. That was a really great parallel to point out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali, what a great story! I did appreciate you adding the rhyme at the beginning because I had never heard it before! I like your idea of adding pieces of it throughout too to remind us where your story was coming from. I would have never made a story that fit the rhyme that well! It followed it perfectly and honestly I would think your story was the original and someone made the rhyme for your story, not the other way around! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ali. I enjoyed your story behind this nursery rhyme. I like how you used the fire to represent symbolism. I could easily picture how Timmy was, and how he liked a certain way. I could also easily imagine Sheryl. Sheryl was clearly not happy, and the fire represented that. I feel making time for people you love is important, and I think your story told that message.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ali,

    I really liked how you set your story up. You really made sure that the main character had a background so the reader could understand them a little more. I thought your word choice was also very interesting. "Trek", and "Crack of Dawn" are a couple that stood out to me. Reading these words really made me feel like I was reading a book. Rather than writing basic conversation, it was formal verbiage in a way. I was wondering why Timmy's father wanted him to get married so badly. Was it so he could have grandchildren? Or was he worried about his son's boring life? So many possibilities and I would be interested to hear your take on it. I was also wondering what if the wife had died? That is what I thought was going to happen at first. It could be an interesting idea. However, it was a complete surprise that she up and left him! I really enjoyed your story, good read!

    ReplyDelete