Thursday, January 12, 2017

Picturing my Favorite Places

January 11th, 2017

When I came across this assignment the first thing, I thought of a Quote I have always loved from a book I owned as a girl.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."

-Dr. Seuss

I love to travel and explore. Below are 2 of my favorite places.

Sevilla, España

(image information: personal photo of the Sevilla Town Square; photo from July 2016)

Photo: Espacio Parasol Sevilla
Wooden Structure in Sevilla, Spain completed in 2011
Source: Wikimedia

Over the summer, I went to Spain for a month to study abroad. I love the Spanish culture and language. I spent 4 weeks immersing myself in all things Spanish. I quickly fell in love with Spain and Sevilla specifically. Sevilla was my home town where I lived with my host mother. I spent hours strolling through parks and exploring neighborhoods day after day. It is easily one of my favorite places now. There is something about Spain that moved me in a way I have never experienced. The weather was incredibly hot, the food was terrible, but land, architecture, and people blew me away. I hope desperately that one day I am able to return to the beautiful country of España and the familiar city of Sevilla.

Colorado

Photo: Fall colors near Ridgeway, Colorado by Larry Lasma
The beautiful mountainous terrain of Colorado
Source: Wikimedia

(image information: personal photo of a hike in Colorado Springs; photo from March 2016)


Colorado has to be my absolute favorite place. Something about the mountains drew me in, and the Colorado culture has won me over. Being from Oklahoma my whole life taught me to be grateful for things that aren't flat or "hilly." I love it for so many reasons. I enjoy the activities you can do in Colorado. I love that it feels like a different place in the winter than in the summer yet both incredibly special. I like all parts of Colorado. I love the river, the peaks, the valleys, the fields, etc. I love South Eastern, Colorado and the Million Dollar Highway, as well as the popular tourist ski resorts. I feel at home in the Colorado Rockies. If you have been to Colorado and liked the winter there, you will love the summer there even more. The scenery has no end, and I feel like I am looking at a photographed backdrop whenever I am there. The mountains have fascinated me since I was a young girl, and I believe that Colorado may be the greatest place in the United States. 


These are my favorite places. Check them out if you get the chance. They will change your life!

Blessings,
Ali Sylvester

References:
Seuss. (1990). Oh, the places you'll go!. Random House Children's Books.
Chicago

1 comment:

  1. Several people have mentioned Colorado as a favorite place so far this semester... but I think you are the first person to have mentioned Spain, and what beautiful pictures of Seville! I have never been to Spain, but I hope someday to go there: from everything I have heard, it sounds like a wonderful place to visit to meet nice people and to see beautiful things!
    About mountains: as you can guess, mountains are a big part of Indian storytelling and legend. Maybe that is a theme you will want to explore. Shiva and his family live on top of Mount Kailash in the Himalayas for example: Mount Kailash

    ReplyDelete